Saturday, November 10, 2012

The times, changes, etc.

sometimes i think about the people who used to dominate the way i felt about myself and I honestly cant believe it. the beauty of facebook is that it allows me to see everyone in a new light, in a revelatory light. my parents were right. the people i cared about so deeply when i was 13 ended up amounting to nothing. like seriously nothing. i almost feel bad saying it because there is a nostalgic part of me that naively believes these ridiculous people know i exist.

i also feel bad saying anyone amounted to nothing because who am i to judge? but this is my forum and its full of my judgments already so i might as well just alienate myself even further. let us say, for argument's sake, that my idea of 'amounting to nothing' involves not going to going to college/going to jail/being a career whole foods employee. because in this version of my life, those three scenarios adequately describe the current status of the people i thought were SOOO cool in my formative years.

i don't want to dwell on the jail thing, because frankly its not really that funny and i don't know much about it. but suffice it to say that when you are making facebook status updates about how you spent the last 40 days in cook county department of corrections, its time to rethink your life choices. i guess shit happens when you date musicians who are famous for 5 minutes before falling off the face of the earth.

HW is obviously the more entertaining character in this story. The recording artist, self-proclaimed health guru, and whole foods employee with an ill-founded vendetta against modern medicine. I could go on all day but i really have significantly more important things to do. i really just want to quote and laugh at a few brilliantly ignorant comments he has made public to the world via facebook, obviously.

"Your body has amazing healing capabilities if fed organic fruits and vegetables. Disease and cancer cannot exist in an alkaline environment" 

this is a moment when "WTF" is a totally appropriate response. first of all, i would say cancer could potentially exist anywhere. it is like the cockroach of disease. it is a survivor. it will never get voted off the island. Secondly, your body will never be an "alkaline environment." what does that even mean? UGH i could write a dissertation on how fucking moronic that sentence is. maybe i will if i get into an Oncology residency

"you get what you deserve in life."

no. you get what you get in life, whether you deserve it or not is completely irrelevant.


the take away message here is that my parents have been right about 98% of the time throughout my life. and i've been right about 40% of the time. i can only hope that as i get older (and obviously wiser) that i will be right about things more often than i'm not. anyway, this is my only rant before midterms.

i cant wait to go home for thanksgiving and see my darling Matt so we can watch movies and eat popcorn all week.

No comments: