Monday, September 17, 2007

what do you do with an English major?

I've spent the last hour or so looking at the websites st. olaf has linked for job opportunities based on area of study. I've looked at pretty much everything from environmental protection to publishing and editing for Random House. The problem i have with all these job postings is that they all require 2-3 years experience in publishing or marketing or editing or the like. Where am i supposed to get these 2-3 years of experience before i apply for the "real" job at Random House? Even the small publishing houses ive never heard of in middle of nowhere Oregon still have this 2-3 years of experience requirement. I'm pretty far away from having that much experience and i'm wondering if ill be doing unpaid internships until then commuting from the Billhymer's homestead in schaumburg illinois because i can't afford anything on my own. This is worrysome. Especially when i think of the unpaid internships not really counting as "years" of experience, even if i do several of them over the course of 2-3 years.

i don't know if i should give up this whole career after college thing and get back on the grad school path. Its the only direction that seemed relatively safe and easy to get to. Of course the thought of staying in school for another 2 years after my undergrad sentence is up is daunting to say the least. But grad school would be different right? Just like college is so much different from high school. I'm of the opinion that life pretty much stays like high school forever. Thats just the median maturity level for most Americans today regardless of age/gender/income. Also- if i just believe people don't ever get anymore tolerable than they were at age 15, ill always be pleasantly surprised when someone does act like a decent human being.

so the job hunt continues and who knows what kind of career ill end up with. The search for an internship that will accept me will most likely end in failure but ill press on none-the-less. I can't imagine being on the Oregon Trail with my family and covered wagon. I think i would refuse to go but then i would be straying from the idea of the "true woman." This was just a random digression into the social injustices regarding gender in the 19th century. I would like to think that if i lived during that time i would be like Annie Oakley or Calamity Jane but more likely, i would be just a domestic and obedient wife, ready to cook for my husband and rear my children until my uterus is dried up. and even then id still have to cook for him while hes out doing log rolling contests or whatever stupid ass men did in those days to prove they were the shit.

No comments: