Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Today I stayed home from school

I watched Miracle
I watched Emergency Vets
I ate a muffin
I ate ritz bitz sandwhiches
I watched part of Le Divorce
I slept
I avoided my Rice application
I avoided my calculus
I gave up hope of ever liking school again
I played with the dog
I went to panera with susan
I thought about what i wanted to be when i grow up
I didnt come up with any real conclusions

I'm confused about why so many schools want to knwo what you plan to major in and what you want to do with your life. I'm 17 and these people expect me to explain my life goals and ambitions, I'll tell your right now i can't do it. I couldn't sum it up in 500 or 5000 words. How am i supposed to know what i'm going to be doing in 10 years? how is it even realistic for me to make assumptions about my future. I'm assuming ill be doing something i like but honestly, nothing in high school has really struck that inner chord. What have i seen in the world? i've seen what my parents do and i've seen teachers, how could i come up with something based on what i know. the reason im going to college is to figure out what i want to do. isn't that what everyone does? i mean how many people can pick their career at age 17 and then be happy with that choice the rest of their lives? I don't know any and i would be hard pressed to find any middle aged person in the high point of his career who knew exactly what he wanted to do when he was a senior in high school. I don't think anyone should have to make that decision. I'm picking schools of interest based on what i am personally interested in, not necessarily what i want to do forever. Therefore i refuse to answer any more short answer questions on any applications that ask my why i want to go to this school and how it will help me achieve my career goals. I will tell these schools that my goal is to be happy and i think i could do that there.

No comments: